Veggie Italiano Quesadilla
1/3 cup canned cannellini (white kidney) beans,
drained and rinsed
¼ tsp. salt free Italian seasoning
1 La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious low Carb/High Fiber
Medium or Large Tortilla (this brand is only 80 calories)
1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Mozzarella,
Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil cheese
¼ cup sliced zucchini
¼ cup sliced red bell pepper
¼ cup chopped onion
1 piece The Laughing Cow Mini Babybel
Light cheese, chopped
PHC Salsa – optional topping. See PHC
Handbook for recipe
1. Place beans in a blender or food processor w/ 1 Tbsp. water and blend until mostly smooth. (Or place beans in a bowl w/ 1 Tbsp. water and mash with a fork.) Add Italian seasoning and mix well.
2. Lay tortilla flat and spread half of the upward-facing side with bean mixture. Spread cheese wedge on the other half and set aside.
3. Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add veggies, stirring occasionally. Cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer veggies to the side of the tortilla spread with the cheese wedge.
4. Top veggies evenly with chopped Babybel cheese. Fold bean-covered side of the tortilla over the other side and press gently to seal, forming the quesadilla.
5. Remove skillet from heat, re-spray with nonstick spray, and return to medium-high heat. Place quesadilla in the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes per side, until the outside is toasty and the inside is hot.
6. Cut into triangles and, if you like, top with PHC salsa, if desired. Now eat!
PER SERVING (entire quesadilla): 265 calories, 8g fat, 38.5g carbs, 17.25g fiber, 5g sugar, 21g protein
PHC Exchanges: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 2 starches, 1 ½ fats
PHC’s Chilled Creamy Chocolate Delight
2 chocolate graham crackers, crushed
8 oz. fat free cream cheese
1 cup Splenda (for cooking, not packets)
2 pkgs. fat free, sugar free chocolate pudding mix
fat free milk (to make pudding)
Large container of fat free Cool Whip
Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs over the bottom of your container. In a separate dish, mix the cream cheese and Splenda. Add 2/3 of the Cool Whip to the cream cheese mixture and set aside. Prepare the pudding as directed on the package with fat free milk and pour over graham cracker crumbs. Layer the cream cheese on top of the pudding. Spread the remaining Cool Whip on top. Garnish with a small amount of crushed graham crackers. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
Chicken and Broccoli in Mushroom Sauce
Vegetable oil spray
10 oz. fresh broccoli spears(or no salt added frozen broccoli spears)
2 cups diced cooked chicken
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sliced green onions (2 medium)
3 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
dash of nutmeg
1 tsp. light margarine
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 ½ -3 cups)
1 1/3 cups Chicken Broth (low sodium)
5 oz. fat free evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
¼ cup fresh bread crumbs (1/2 slice bread)
2 Tbsp. finely snipped fresh parsley
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Steam broccoli spears until tender-crisp, then plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain and blot dry on paper towels. Arrange in baking pan. Evenly place chicken over broccoli. Set aside.
For sauce, heat margarine in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl to coat bottom. Cook mushrooms, covered for 7-9 minutes, or until they’ve released their juices. Increase heat to high and cook, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes to allow liquid to evaporate. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375.
Pour broth and milk into a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until thickened, 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in green onions, Parmesan, nutmeg, and mushrooms. Pour over chicken in baking pan. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake for 25 minutes.
Serves 6. PHC Exchanges: 165 calories, 1 meat, 1 vegetable